Profile Rabbi Dovid E. Eidensohn

Sunday, March 3, 2019

Learning Torah and earning money. How much of each?


How much learning? How much earning?

Dovid Eidensohn

See Berochose 35b an argument between Rabbi Yishmael and Rabbi Shimon bar Yochoi. Rabbi Yishmael maintains that a Jew must work a full day to sustain a livelihood. Rabbi Shimon bar Yochoi disagrees, because if so, nobody will master the Torah. Rabbi Shimon bar Yochoi counters that a Jew should study Torah essentially and not work, but that others will work for him. The problem with this is that Rabbi Shimon bar Yochoi was running away from the Romans who wanted to kill him, and the Romans would surely not feed him. So it makes sense to accept the gemora there that “many did as Rabbi Yishmael and succeeded” meaning that others did not succeed. Okay, we seem to be getting somewhere. But wait. There are two gemoras that blow everything to pieces.

Sota 44A says that Derech Erets teaches us that a man should build his house, plant a vineyard, and only then marry. In other words, he should not marry until he is wealthy and has enough money to be comfortable and supply the needs of his wife and children. The Zohar adds that one who marries without a house and vineyard is a Tipashe, a fool. Also, the gemora in Hurius 10b says that Rabbi Yochanan decreed that Torah scholars need the money to be comfortable or some wealth.

This brings us to a terrible question. If a person has to spend most of his life learning Torah and only a small portion to earn a living, when does he become wealthy? Indeed, the gemora Berochose 35b rules that people do have to work hard during the day, meaning, not so much learning. This contradicts the Shulchan Aruch Orach Chaim 156.1 that every Jew must learn most of the day and only a small part of the time for his earnings. This is not the opinion of Rabbi Yishmael, the dominant opinion and is not the opinion of Rabbi Shimon bar Yochoi, who says that strangers will support the learners, at a time when the Romans were searching for Rabbi Shimon to kill him. Surely they did not support him. Indeed, Rabbi Yochanan says in gemora Shabbos 11a that the law is not like Rabbi Shimon bar Yochoi but like Rabbi Yishmael. If so, how can we manage enough money to marry? Something has to give? Either Rabbi Yishmael is wrong, or Rabbi Shomon bar Yochoi is wrong, or no Jew gets married other than a few rich ones. This is surely wrong. This bothered me for a long time, especially as I didn’t find anyone else who asked these questions.

But the rule is, that when somebody gets stuck when he studies Torah, and he gives all he could to understand, HaShem helps him. The Vilna Gaon even suggests that there are questions on the Torah that seem to block all logic. But within these questions are the secrets of the Torah. I believe that this idea is the first word in the Torah, Beraishis, which, as Rashi says there, is a word missing a key word. In the beginning of what did HaShem create the heaven and the earth? Whatever we do, that word is missing. I believe the missing word is that there are things about heaven and earth that are beyond human understanding, but can only be revealed by HaShem to those who study Torah. And that is the key to all of the Torah and all of the gemoras. They are all riddled with questions. But if we struggle and ask HaShem’s help, we will find answers.

My answer is that children must be trained by the father to learn Torah most of the day but to also spend some time of the day to earn money. I actually wrote a treatise about a fictional boy, Shimi, who, at the age of five, was approached by his father. “Shimi,” he said, “you are a smart little boy, and you are learning nicely in Hebrew school. Yes, it is crucial for a Jew to study Torah. But we need money also. Yes, most of the day you will study Torah, and yet, a Jew needs money also. Would you like to earn some money even now?” Shimi was very interested in what his father was saying, and earning money, why not, sure!

Shimi’s father said, “Next time you go to Hebrew school, bring along some nice fruit from our farm, and trade it with your friends, who surely bring their own fruit to school.” Shimi did it, and he returned with some of his friends’ fruit. “Fine” said his father. “Let’s keep this up for a while, okay? You’re doing so well, that I think  you are a real business person!” Shimi puffed up his small cheek, and just swallowed in the compliments. The main thing, however, was the hope that more was to come. His father had talked about him earning money. Now, that was something special.

The time came when Shimi’s father told him, “Come with me.” They went a few blocks, and Shimi knew exactly where they were. This was the home of Shimi’s father’s best friend. “Here,” said his father. “Take these nice fruits, rap on the door, and sell them to my friend.” Shimi was a little nervous. But he did what he was told. He rapped on the door. The man of the house answered, and saw a tiny five year old child rapping on his door. What was this about? Then, he looked up, and saw his friend, Shimi’s father, watching the door. Aha. So that was the game. “Yes, my dear friend, and what can I do for you today?” asked the father’s friend of Shimi. Shimi replied, “Would you like to buy any of these delicious fruits?” Well, thought the father. I have a choice in the matter? My best friend won’t talk to me if I refuse. He reached in his pocket, and pulled out some nice change. Shimi was ecstatic. He, a five year old child, had a nice chunk of change!

The father was careful to go steadily up the ladder. Now he took Shimi to strangers. But the child was catching on. The coins were rattling in his pocket, and he was thrilled. What does a child with money want? He wants more money, a lot of it. And the father played this to the hilt. Next came a new level of training, and it would hurt. “Shimi, I know you have been selling various nice fruits and food, and you have made some nice change. Now, I want to graduate you to more expensive items. Are you ready to proceed?” Shimi responded, “If you want me to do something, I am ready to try it.” Well, said his father, this is an expensive leather piece from the farm. Find somebody, on your own, to sell it to, and tell me what they pay you for it.”

Shimi was paid, which was for him, an enormous amount of money. Much more than he got for selling an apple. Now he was given good money, not nickels and dimes, but solid dollars. With great pride, he showed his money to his father. His father was disappointed. “Shimi, you took twenty dollars for that leather piece, but it was worth fifty dollars.” Shimi was crushed, and he started to cry. His father was ready for this. He sat Shimi down and explained to him the entire situation and why Shimi should greatly rejoice in the very mistake his father knew he would make.

“Shimi, I have a dear friend, who married a rich girl. His father-in-law gave him a fortune as a nedan, a gift to the husband from the wife’s family, to encourage him to enter business and make a lot of money. Alas, my friend never lost a penny in his life, and had no idea how to proceed. He lost everything, and the money was so much, he could never pay it back. So I took you, a five year old boy, who sold an expensive piece of leather for less than its value. You lost about thirty dollars, and you know what, it is the smartest thing you ever did. Because I am training you to be a businessman, somebody who will one day not do what my friend did when he lost a fortune and could never recoup it. You will recoup the thirty dollars you lost a thousand times. You will have farms, fields, houses, and your wife and children will never have to worry about money. Now, wipe your tears, smile, and get ready for stage two. Now we are going to train you to buy property. Remember the mistake you made today. And be sure that you never make a mistake like that again.” Shimi resolved that he would be very careful next time he sold or bought anything.

“Tomorrow,” said Shimi’s father, “we are going to look at a property I am interested in. Pay close attention how I deal with the owner. Are  you ready?” Shimi was ready. The day came when Shimi followed his father to see him purchase a field from this person. They began to haggle about the price. Finally, the seller said, “I won’t sell for less than such and such.” Shimi’s father said, “Okay, let me think about it,” and left.

Shimi felt very bad for his father. He thought his father had lost out on the property. But his father was doing exactly what he wanted Shimi to see. Never buy property unless  you get a real good deal. If it is worth ten thousand dollars, make sure you don’t pay ten thousand dollars.

My original story of Shimi went on much longer, but suffice here to sum up that Shimi began buying property at economical rates. People realized that he was rich and they rushed to buy his properties and have their children begin Hebrew school on his terms. He insisted that the new people raise their children as his father had raised him, to begin earning money at a tender age. By the time he came of marital age, his parents found for him exactly what they wanted, and here was one growing and happy family.

What a happy world it would be if all children were raised to be happy and wealthy!

7 comments:



  1. I am really pleased with this service of this powerful Clairvoyance Caster. Dr. ECOCO, if you are going through any kind of spiritual attack or affliction or
    you want to get your ex-husband or wife back? Dr.ECOCO THE GREAT is a traditional herbal and spiritual doctor that can help you out. Contact him to help
    solve your problem for you free of charge. He is based in US. His contact detail is email address: ogbeborecocosolution@gmail.com He is always ready to
    helpyou.he is very powerful and can solve any kind of problem below.Do you want your ex lover back? Do you want to get pregnant? Do you want your husband to
    appreciate you? Do you want to be famous or rich? Do you need your business to grow excessively? Do you need a job? Do you need a husband? Do you have a
    problem in your marriage? Contact: (ogbeborecocosolution@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband left me for another woman after one year of our marriage. I needed him back desperately because i loved him so much. I became very worried and needed help. On this faithful day  as i was browsing through the internet, I came across a particular testimony about this good DR IROSI help get ex back fast and stop a divorce or breakup and so on , So I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (return Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my boyfriend came back to me crying and begging for my forgiveness. Today I’m so happy and i want to recommend this great spell caster to anyone that truly needs an urgent solution to his or her broken relationships and marriage email him at:(DRIROSISOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL.COM) Simply contact the great “DR IROSI” If you have any problem contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you., do not cry anymore-contact this powerful spell caster now. Thank you DR IROSI for saving my broken relationships and brought my boyfriend back to me!” email him at: (DRIROSISOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL.COM).  

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello What a miraculous work of great Amiso, I'm Chris Trump, my wife left me because I have cancer of the body, so I emailed Dr.Amiso and explain everything passing through to him, he cure the disease and return my wife back to me, i also told my friend Felix, that his wife is divorcing in 3 days time, he also contact him hold and behold his wife called the lawyer 2 days before the deal day and told him she is not divorcing her husband again he should stop and cancel every document regarding the divorce issue, believe me they are now living happily like never before. you are passing through marital problem or you need your lover back, kindly contact Dr.Amiso on herbalisthome01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice and well explained blog i impressed with this blog click here for
    Divorce counselling service and for more detail dial on our counselling number 07065417417

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I’m very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the world.
    If you want Digital Marketing Serives :-
    Digital marketing Service in Delhi
    SMM Services
    PPC Services in Delhi
    Website Design & Development Packages
    SEO Services PackagesLocal SEO services
    E-mail marketing services
    YouTube plans

    ReplyDelete


  6. GREAT Dr Kabaka THAT HELP ME SAVE MY RELATIONSHIP... Good Day everybody, My name is Nancy am from Australia This is a very happy day of my life with the help of Dr Kabaka has rendered to me by helping me to get my husband back with his magic power and love spell. i was married for 8 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me, and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr Kabaka email on the internet on how he help so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has change totally for good. he started begging me to forgive him that he is very sorry for everything, i was really surprised and was also happy, so that was how i forgive him and now we are living together happily than ever before,and He always want to be by me and can not do anything without my present. i am really happy with my marriage, what a great celebration. thank you Dr Kabaka i will forever be grateful to you if you need his help you can contact him through his email address; drkabakaspiritualtemple@gmail.com
    OR call his whatsapp number on +2349015857861

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi viewers, I'm posting this Because i found lots of people having marriage and relationship and divorce problems, which I also experienced. I recently found help from a man called Dr. Oselumen he did a great job that made my husband fell back in love with me after ten months of separation. I want y' all to know there are fake online spell Dr.s if someone out there needs help, can easily contact droselumen@gmail.com or reach him on whatsapp +2348054265852 he will give you the best result.

    ReplyDelete